Nepal is experiencing growth in the IT industry. Lots of youths are getting more interested in the field of Information Technology. In recent years lots of new IT startups has emerged which has resulted in greater job opportunities than ever. However, IT has a lot more opportunities than one may think. There are many choices that you can make for your ideal career choice. Here we have listed ten of the most demanding IT jobs in Nepal.
Web Developer/ Web Designer
Web development is one of the most demanded jobs in the context of Nepal. Many companies here mainly focused on the development of Websites and web applications. Business and organization have felt the need of projecting their brand on the web, hence creating more opportunities.
One of the most lucrative job position especially for newbies is Junior Web Developer where you’ll be involved in the development of websites using the programming languages of your choice.
You also have the choice to be a Frontend developer where you develop the user interface, appearance and interactivity of the website.
- Understand the needs of the client
- Make mockups and prototype for the client
- Use prevalent technologies to design and develop website or web applications
- Make visually appealing websites supported in every major browser
- Tackle performance related issues
A good Software Developer/Engineer is quite scarce in terms of Nepali market. A software developer is also known as a computer programmer where you will be involved in the design, testing, deployment, and maintainece.
A lot of business organizations such as schools, hospitals, hotels wants to make their business environment more modern and efficient. This is where the need of a computer software comes into play. As the business market of Nepal is flourishing, so is the demand for good software engineers.
- Reviewing the current system
- Identify better course of the solution to the problem.
- Working and directing a team
- Preparing technical specifications of a required software
- Developing a software
- Maintaining a developed software
Some skills set that is really sought out in Nepal are Visual Basic, Java, .NET, C++, Oracle, SQL. The salary of a software engineer is highly competitive in Nepal.
Mobile Application Developer
Smartphones have become quite cheap and powerful these days. The number of people using a smartphone in Nepal has increased quite considerably. Major internet users are also from smartphones. Due to these facts, it’s no surprise that mobile application developers are in high demand.
- Understand the needs of the client
- Create innovative and effective solutions
- Exhibit teamwork
- Apply problem-solving skills
- Testing the application over major platforms
- Maintaining the developed applications
A good mobile application developer usually needs to be well versed in Objective C, Swift, C++, Java and Kotlin. Hybrid applications are also getting popular, where applications are built using HTML5.
Database administrator plays a vital role in any software company. They are the one who takes care of performance, reliability, security, and availability of an information source. They also plan the growth and development of an information source.
As the complexity of software grows various problems related to data and information will surface and it is the job of a database administrator to troubleshoot these problems and apply various techniques to solve them.
- Supporting the current database design
- Updating the current database
- Tracking efficiency
- Securing the information source
- Extracting required data by performing simple to complex queries.
A database administrator needs more of problem-solving skills. A database administrator needs to fluent in Structure Query Languages(SQL), Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) and XML as well.
The picture is the most effective means of passing information and graphic designer need to portrait such information really well. Graphic designers are involved in developing and designing newspapers, magazines, books, reports, advertisements, and many more. They also create interactive designs for brochures, promotional displays, and packaging.
A logo designer is also well demanded in Nepal as it requires out of the box thinking capabilities.
Excellent employement oppurtunies are available in this field.
A graphic designer is expected to be fluent in using graphics software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, CorelDraw, InDesign or others according to the choices of an organization.
An SEO specialist is kind of an underdog in the Nepali market. They are not abundant buy plays a vital role for any organization to see the light of Search Engine rankings. Even if you create the most perfect website, which solves a very important problem, it is quite futile if you aren’t discovered.
An SEO specialist is involved in analyzing, reviewing and optimizing websites along with their performance. They conduct various testing methods and apply proven, up-to-date techniques to optimize a website so that they can rank better.
- Reviewing and analyzing current website
- Analyzing keyword and SEO techniques used by competitors
- Writing effective SEO content for blogs, websites and social media accounts
- Prepare strategy reports
- Conducting keyword research
- Drive in traffics using powerful keywords
An SEO specialist is required to have up-to-date knowledge of the working of search engines. They should be able to use keywords to effectively create SEO friendly content. Experienced in optimization tools, knowledge on Google analytics and able to research competitive keywords are required. Beside these, they also need to think creatively and strategically.
Recently there is an increase in the demand of QA officers. As the market is evolving, there is high expectation everywhere and people want guaranteed products. This is the reason why QA Officers are getting sought out. QA Officers performs various tests and validate a developed software so that they produce consistent outputs every time. They then document all the test they performed and label it ready if no faults are visible.
- Thoroughly perform tests and experiment with the developed software
- Identify bugs and problems
- Analyze deficiency in performance and service delivery
- Document the problems and forward it for improvements
A QA officer needs to have extensive technical knowledge and development process, and usually, need multiple years of hands-on experience. However many companies are also hiring interns.
Network administrators connect different devices together and establish fast, efficient and secure connections. They are associated with computer networks and solving issues related to them. Since the organization in Nepal is slowly getting highly dependent on computers and other devices there is a need of Network Administrator.
- Installing and configuring computer networks
- Identifying and solving network related problems
- Installing and assembling a new system
- Budgeting for equipment and assembly costs
- Maintaining and upgrading current hardware
- Monitoring the performance of current networks
- Providing network support
A network administrator needs to have technical and administrative skills along with teamwork skill. They need to give attention to details. They need to have up-to-date information related to hardware and should be able to figure out obsolete ones.
A project manager is a person who is in charge of a certain project or projects within a specific organization. Even if a team has a set of skilled workers, they will fail to provide a quality product if there is no one to act as a leader. Someone needs to take the lead so that everyone on the team understands the objectives and specification. This is where the project manager fills the gap.
- Plan and implement projects
- Budgeting the project
- Estimating the duration of the project
- Manage and allocate the budget
- Assign and divide the tasks
- Monitor progress and direct the team
- Present the product to the stakeholders
A project manager needs to have great interpersonal and communication skill. They need to be able to understand and implement strategic, risk and change management. Decision making skill is vital for any project manager. Besides they need to be adaptable and able to handle stress.
Technical Writer is quite a new profession in Nepal. There are many vacancies these days and most software companies are looking for technical writers. Software companies require technical documentation of their products. They need to create user manuals, guides, and online help. Web development companies require their technical writers to be able to produce quality articles and post for their blogs or websites. The technical writer also commonly involve themselves with writing articles with SEO efficiency.
- Creating, editing error free contents
- Logically interpret the given information for documenting it
- Understand a product and portrait them in words effectively
- Use tools and techniques for greater quality of writing
- Using pictures, visuals, and arts to further clarify their points
A technical writer needs to have great error-free writing skills. They should be able to use proper grammar to portray their information. Using easily understandable words and terms so that readers can easily interpret them. A technical writer should be able to research a particular subject. A technical writer should also be able to use tools such as MS Word, Adobe Framemaker, Captivate etc.